Lifelong Learning and Leisure
The Center is home to a full range of programs and activities. Stay mentally sharp and active; a great key to living a full life at any age. Programs change monthly, but here are a few samples:
- Creative arts programs like art appreciation, watercolor classes, beading, crafting, knitting circles, music appreciation, name those tunes, and more
- Lectures and programs on topics ranging from making the most of your investments to meditation, from gardening with native plants to pain management...always something new!
- Multi-week classes for writers, readers, history fans, and more
- Cards and games groups like Scrabble, word search, Canasta, backgammon and chess
- Cooking classes and nutrition demos - from cooking for one or two to fancy foods
- Travel - one day and overnight trips to fascinating locations!
- Just for fun events - because who said growing older has to be dull?!
Stay connected to our community. Programs at the Senior Center include those which bring older adults and the larger community together!
- Intergenerational programs at the elementary and middle schools
- Senior Pass to Nonnewaug High School events - free admission to most sports, arts and performance events
- Lectures, programs and demos with area community service groups, clubs and organizations
- Service and volunteer opportunities to benefit local non-profits
- Information and referral services for local service providers
- Discount programs through programs like Chimney Cleaning, etc
- Local Late Lunch and Early Bird Suppers - an opportunity to visit local eating establishments with friends with no transportation or parking worries.
- Ticket services - cooperative programs with local performing arts organizations to allow you to purchase your tickets at the Center.
- Income tax preparation assistance - through AARP
- Safe Driver Classes - through AARP
- Meals on China -partnering with local restaurants to create special occasions for those who cannot go out
Staying socially connected is so important; it's a predictor for healthier later years and successful aging. Here at the Center, you'll find many options for exercise, lifelong learning, community engagement and connection. Here are a few samples. Programs are always being added; Check out our newsletter and calendar for details on current classes and programs.
Call the Center for more travel information, itineraries and reservations! (203) 263-2828
...and so much more! Programs are always changing to meet the needs of our community, and your ideas are welcome. You are welcome here.