Staying socially connected is so important; it's a predictor for healthier later years and successful aging. Here at the Center, you'll find many options for exercise, lifelong learning, community engagement and connection. Here are a few samples. Programs are always being added; Check out our newsletter and calendar for details on current classes and programs.
Lifelong Learning and Leisure
The Center is home to a full range of programs and activities. Stay mentally sharp and active; a great key to living a full life at any age. Programs change monthly, but here are a few samples:
- Creative arts programs like art appreciation, watercolor classes, beading, crafting, knitting circles, music appreciation, name those tunes, and more
- Lectures and programs on topics ranging from making the most of your investments to meditation, from gardening with native plants to pain management...always something new!
- Multi-week classes for writers, readers, history fans, and more
- Cards and games groups like Scrabble, word search, Canasta, backgammon and chess
- Cooking classes and nutrition demos - from cooking for one or two to fancy foods
- Travel - one day and overnight trips to fascinating locations!
- Just for fun events - because who said growing older has to be dull?!
...and so much more! Programs are always changing to meet the needs of our community, and your ideas are welcome. You are welcome here.
Call the Center for more travel information, itineraries and reservations! (203) 263-2828
Stay connected to our community. Programs at the Senior Center include those which bring older adults and the larger community together!
- Intergenerational programs at the elementary and middle schools
- Senior Pass to Nonnewaug High School events - free admission to most sports, arts and performance events
- Lectures, programs and demos with area community service groups, clubs and organizations
- Service and volunteer opportunities to benefit local non-profits
- Information and referral services for local service providers
- Discount programs through programs like Chimney Cleaning, etc
- Local Late Lunch and Early Bird Suppers - an opportunity to visit local eating establishments with friends with no transportation or parking worries.
- Ticket services - cooperative programs with local performing arts organizations to allow you to purchase your tickets at the Center.
- Income tax preparation assistance - through AARP
- Safe Driver Classes - through AARP
- Meals on China -partnering with local restaurants to create special occasions for those who cannot go out